Thomas Oberle, Assistant Principal
The Arts and Business Department offers a variety of courses to both challenge and provide students an opportunity to explore and achieve in the performing arts and business. All students are required to earn a minimum of two credits (2 terms) in the arts.
The Arts and Business Department is comprised of the following departments:
- Business / Technology
- Dramatic Arts Academy
- Fine Art
- Joffrey Ballet Dance Academy
- Music (Vocal and Instrumental)
Performing Arts Audition Program
- Dramatic Arts (K17T)
- Instrumental (K17R)
- Joffrey Ballet Dance Academy (K17J)
- Vocal (K17S)
Business / Technology Course offerings include:
- Business Finance / Accounting
- Virtual Enterprise We currently have one virtual business, “Your Name Here.”
Dramatic Arts Academy
Course offerings include:
- English / Drama
- History of Shakespeare
- Play Production
- Stage Design
In addition, we present a Fall Play Production which has included Merchant of Venice, The Complete Works of Shakespeare, Doubt, Picasso at the Lapin Agile, Rowing to America: The Immigrant Experience, The Crucible, The Miracle Worker, and Arsenic and Old Lace.
Fine Art Course offerings include:
- 'Design Studio
- Vocal Training
- Chamber Music
- Chorus (2 levels)
- Concert Band (3 levels)
- Jazz Band
- Marching Band*
- Music History / Theory
- Orchestra (2 levels)
- Criteria: Students who have at least ONE of the following skill sets:
- Students who successfully completed a 3-year sequence of: Creative Art, Painting and Drawing.
- Students who present a strong portfolio with 6-15 substantial artworks including:
- 3 observational drawings
- 2-3 portraits
- Several abstract, pop, graphic, or digital artwork
- Students with strong computer graphics application skills (i.e. Photoshop/Illustrator)
- Complete the summer assignment by the end of the first marking period.
- Submit homework on time and revise it according to teacher’s feedback.
- Complete the class work in a timely manner.
- Students should have access to a digital camera/smartphone to digitize their artwork.
- Upload all the assignments to Google Drive, share them with the teacher, and maintain the files.
- Students should prepare their artwork for school art exhibitions; measuring, trimming, mounting, and labeling.
- Students must register for the final AP Studio Art Exam and prepare portfolios to include:
- 5 Quality, 12 Concentration, and 12 Breadth pieces of college-level artwork.
- Critiquing is an essential part to enhance student’s artistic talent. Therefore, it is expected students participate
during the critique.